From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 04:49:37
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:15:32PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Ashley Dixon wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Especially considering most Americans do not understand the system (the
5 > > readability of the I.R.S. tax code has been under scrutiny for a long time),
6 > > I wouldn't want to place the burden of conferring with such a convoluted
7 > > system on anyone.
8 >
9 > I read a article once several years ago where a magazine contacted the
10 > IRS and gave the same set of facts and asked the same question of over a
11 > dozen different IRS help agents.  You know, the ones that answer the
12 > phone to help you.  Given the same facts and the same question, they got
13 > several different answers.  It seems even the people at the IRS can't
14 > understand it either.
15
16 I did a quick on-line search regarding this matter (and readability of English
17 texts in general), and it seems like the I.R.S. tax code is incapable of
18 achieving even a positive score on the Flesch readability index [1, 2], so your
19 testimonial doesn't surprise me too much.
20
21 The same algorithm has been applied to a quite a few public domain works in
22 Literature and Philosophy over the last few centuries; some of the results are
23 mildly interesting [3]. Although, considering Finnegans Wake attained a score of
24 62.8, I am dubious of the accuracy of this method (then again, it's very non-
25 standard English, if you can call it English at all) [4].
26
27 [1] http://users.csc.calpoly.edu/~jdalbey/305/Projects/FleschReadabilityProject.html
28 [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesch%E2%80%93Kincaid_readability_tests
29 [3] http://www.infomotions.com/etexts/