From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tensorflow-2.5.0-r1 compilation failed
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 23:31:32
1 пн, 10 янв. 2022 г. в 01:29, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > вс, 9 янв. 2022 г. в 16:52, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
4 > >
5 > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 3:59 AM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > вс, 21 нояб. 2021 г. в 17:12, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Congrats!
10 > > >
11 > > > Thank you. However, it was not for long. On 30-12-2021 recompilation
12 > > > of the same tensorflow-2.7.0 because of some changed dependencies
13 > > > failed with the same f**ng "Bazel failed" error as before.
14 > > >
15 > > > So, I am currently going to degrade my Gentoo system to the state it
16 > > > was in on 12-12-2021, when its last update was successful and froze it
17 > > > forever.
18 > > >
19 > > > The problem is that I do not know how to do it but I am going to post
20 > > > this question as a separate thread. (I am using webrsync method.)
21 > > >
22 > >
23 > > Sorry for the problems. I saw your other thread about downgrading
24 > > Gentoo. I agree with the other responses you got there that Gentoo, in
25 > > general, does not support standing still much less going backward.
26 > >
27 > > I will offer what will probably not be a popular comment but my
28 > > opinion is Gentoo is exactly the wrong sort of distribution for doing
29 > > work in tensorflow. With all of it's updates, limited testing of
30 > > packages, extreme amounts of code building, and not being a distro
31 > > that the official tensorflow folks even verify on, it's just too hard.
32 > > (And a contributing factor to how I moved away in the beginning.)
33 > >
34 > > My thought is that you might create a 20.04 LTS Ubuntu VM (or possibly
35 > > an LXC container) running whatever your desktop flavor of Gentoo is -
36 > > I run Kubuntu - and just run tensorflow in the VM. You won't easily
37 > > get GPU support unless you deal with passthrough, but the software
38 > > will just work and you won't spend time dealing with building code
39 > > which can be spent coding tensorflow.
40 > >
41 > > If you insist on running in Gentoo consider the LXD container running
42 > > an older rev of Gentoo. (If you can find one) Get it working, if you
43 > > can, and then never update it.
44 > >
45 > > lxc image list images: gentoo
46 > >
47 > > There are openrc and systemd versions available, but a Kubuntu stable
48 > > container would more likely to 'just work' IMO.
49 >
50 > Thank you for your reply, Mark.
51 >
52 > Unfortunately, you missed my previous message in this thread
53 > where I wrote that I do have Ubuntu 20.04 on the same computer.
54
55 Correction:
56
57 > However, tensorflow fails to run on it because it is compiled
58 > to be inconsistent with my videocard. So, Gentoo is my only option
59 > for this hardware.