From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Update circle
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 14:18:18
1 On 2018-08-22, Zoltán Kócsi wrote:
2
3 > I have a Gentoo machine, which has not been updated for a while. Quite
4 > a long while, actually.
5 >
6 > Now I needed to install a package, and I did so. It went up, no
7 > problem. Except that it relies on a newer version of openrc than
8 > what's on the system. From here it's all downhill:
9 >
10 > emerge openrc:
11 > - Fails, as the current portage is EAPI 5 (whatever that is), thus all
12 > EAPI 6 packages are masked. Must upgrade portage.
13 >
14 > emerge portage:
15 > - Fails, as it needs tar-1.30 and the installed tar is 1.27. Must update
16 > tar.
17 >
18 > emerge tar:
19 > - Fails, as tar-1.30 needs EAPI 6. Must upgrade portage.
20 >
21 > It seems that I'm kind of stuck. Wiping the disk and rebuilding the
22 > system from scratch is absolutely not an option, the existing (and
23 > running) system must be updated somehow.
24 >
25 > I would appreciate any advice, I'm in complete darkness about the
26 > internal workings of portage (would be happy to find some detailed docs
27 > about that, by the way, preferably in PDF).
28 >
29 > Thanks in advance,
30 >
31 > Zoltan
32
33 First, and before anything else: it can be done. You will have to deal
34 with issues that are perhaps a bit more complex than the usual conflicts
35 and issues that show up once in a while even on a stable system which is
36 updated frequently. But it's definitely not impossible.
37
38 The biggest hurdle in your case is that you need to update tar. Do what
39 was already mentioned elsewhere in the thread, fetch the older EAPI 5
40 ebuild, put it in the local overlay and let portage grab that.
41
42 If you're lucky, that might be the only problem you'll have. If you're
43 not so lucky, you will have a couple packages that were since removed
44 from the tree, and which must be either uninstalled or added to a local
45 overlay and adjusted as required. (Because they might depend on older
46 versions of other packages which do not exist anymore.)
47
48 You will probably find some actual bugs too, for example, some packages
49 may fail because their dependencies are not correct.
50
51 When was the last time this system was fully updated/upgraded? (Not the
52 last time you synced the tree, but the last time you did
53 emerge -DuN world or the like.) This might be useful to figure out which
54 issues are you going to find.
55
56 Some recent issues were a change in the C++ ABI and the build system
57 change in certain X11-related packages that pulls python3 as a build
58 dependency.
61 Nuno Silva