From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Konsole, XTerm, UXTerm have all died!!!!!
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:33:12
Hi all,
I did an "emerge -NuD world", it nearly finished, 2 or 3 big files to
go, when I decided it was bed time. I killed the build and went to bed.
This morning I can't now fire up Konsole, which I use as my terminal,
XTerm or UXTerm.

	In more detail, I get the Konsole window, the menu is there and I can
open other tabs etc, but instead of the command prompt, I just get a
small grey blob in the top left hand corner. Hitting return does not get
me any carriage returns.

	XTerm gives me the bouncing icon next to the cursor for a period of
time then disappears.

	UXTerm gives me a small window with the message:

"uxterm tried unsuccessfully to use locale en_US.UTF-8 by setting
$LC_CTYPE to "en_US.UTF-8.

and that's all. I hit the OK button on the window and it all disappears.

	Last night Konsole was fine, I did the emerge through it, but now
nothing. I didn't do revded-rebuild or etc-update as I usually do after
a world emerge.

	Does anyone know what's wrong and how I can get out of this bind.
Something without having to resorting to rescue disks would be good but
if all else fails.....

	Thanks for any thoughts,
		Andrew