From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Konsole, XTerm, UXTerm have all died!!!!!
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:33:12
1 Hi all,
2 I did an "emerge -NuD world", it nearly finished, 2 or 3 big files to
3 go, when I decided it was bed time. I killed the build and went to bed.
4 This morning I can't now fire up Konsole, which I use as my terminal,
5 XTerm or UXTerm.
6
7 In more detail, I get the Konsole window, the menu is there and I can
8 open other tabs etc, but instead of the command prompt, I just get a
9 small grey blob in the top left hand corner. Hitting return does not get
10 me any carriage returns.
11
12 XTerm gives me the bouncing icon next to the cursor for a period of
13 time then disappears.
14
15 UXTerm gives me a small window with the message:
16
17 "uxterm tried unsuccessfully to use locale en_US.UTF-8 by setting
18 $LC_CTYPE to "en_US.UTF-8.
19
20 and that's all. I hit the OK button on the window and it all disappears.
21
22 Last night Konsole was fine, I did the emerge through it, but now
23 nothing. I didn't do revded-rebuild or etc-update as I usually do after
24 a world emerge.
25
26 Does anyone know what's wrong and how I can get out of this bind.
27 Something without having to resorting to rescue disks would be good but
28 if all else fails.....
29
30 Thanks for any thoughts,
31 Andrew