From: "Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@××××.org>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>, Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-user] Help I have b0rked my system :(
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:23:15
1 I had this same problem when I tried to emerge gnome, I unmerged gnome and kde
2 was fine again, I think, there might have been some residuals configs but for
3 the most part I think that is all I had to do to get it running again.
4 Check the forums.
5 Mike
6
7 ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
8
9 Subject: [gentoo-user] Help I have b0rked my system :(
10 Date: Wednesday 06 July 2005 01:42 pm
11 From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
12 To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
13
14 Please help, I have managed to really screw up my second gentoo box,
15
16 ** How I did it **
17
18 Well, I tried emergeing gnome, liked the look of it but then it appeared
19 to crash, all icons on the desktop went & the bottom taskbar stopped
20 working.
21
22 Going into KDE all the K menus appeared messed up ie no kcontrol but
23 quite a few gnome icons and apps.
24
25 Not having emerge sync, emerge -e world for some time I did an emerge
26 sync, system runs 247 so its not a problem.
27
28 I had previously written a bash script to run through all the packages
29 on the system & re-emerge them skipping any packages that have problems
30 emergeing. Its still got approx 250 to go kde edu etc ...
31
32 Has worked great in the past.
33
34 ** Whats happened **
35
36 Well what hasnt :(
37
38 The kernel boots, all services start, X starts and the xorg logs look
39 OK, etc-update showed no updates needed, weird since I have now emerged
40 approx 230 packages
41
42 KDM starts and presents me with a default login screen but it has no
43 box, everything is 100% transparent to the background apart from the
44 witting and logos.
45
46 As I type to login I get no text but I can login to my default fluxbox.
47
48 When I do, gkrellm shows an outline but is 100% transparent, right
49 clicking for menus causes a menu title to come up but all options are
50 invisible + the screen numbers overlay one gets overwritten by two etc
51 etc and ends up as a confused mess.
52
53 ** Help **
54
55 I am at a loss here, I could tell you more about the graphical problems
56 but I do not know if this would be useful. The system is working but
57 graphicly b0rked, any suggestions please :)
58
59 Dave
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
74