From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] open-vm-tools install fails because I have modules disabled??
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:18:08
1 On 4/26/2013 15:48, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 26/04/2013 18:54, Jarry wrote:
3 >> On 26-Apr-13 18:41, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 26/04/2013 18:37, Jarry wrote:
5 >>>> On 26-Apr-13 18:11, Tanstaafl wrote:
6 >>>>> compile fails with lots of
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> "...error "No Module support in this kernel. Please configure with
9 >>>>> CONFIG_MODULES"
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Please tell me that I'm not going to have to enable modules just so I
12 >>>>> can use the vmware tools??
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Yes you are. If you want to use vm-tools ("open" or "vmware"),
15 >>>> you have to enable kernel modules. And also some strange options
16 >>>> (i.e. vmware-graphics). And as I told you previously, updating
17 >>>> to new kernel is really pain in a**. That's why I got rid of
18 >>>> the whole vm-stuff and I'm happy without it...
19 >>>
20 >>> Are you aware of "module-rebuild rebuild"?
21 >>
22 >> Yes I am. Believe me or not, but this did not work.
23 >>
24 >>> Nice little scriplet that reduces all that pain to running one single
25 >>> command after installing a new built kernel.
26 >>
27 >> I mean there is a problem with new kernel version. Not sure
28 >> but I suppose open-vm-tools sources are installed into kernel
29 >> sources tree. And if you install new kernel, open-vm-tools
30 >> sources are not moved to the new kernel-sources tree.
31 >> Whenever I installed new kernel-sources and re-created link
32 >> /usr/src/linux pointing to the new sources, I had to re-emerge
33 >> open-vm-tools too...
34 >
35 > I don't use open-vm-tools so I don't know how they work. I do know
36 > vmware and virtualbox's stuff though - basically the same as any
37 > out-of-tree module package. The ebuild takes care of the nitty-gritty
38 > and builds the modules against whatever /usr/src/linux points to. Is
39 > open-vm-tools the same?
40 >
41 Actually, it's open-vm-tools-kmod that builds the kernel module.
42 open-vm-tools is the userspace components that do not have to be rebuilt
43 after a kernel upgrade. Otherwise, yes, that's exactly how it works.
44
45 > Deploying a new kernel version is a complex affair anyway. You have to
46 > configure the thing, carefully look out for new and changed config
47 > options, run FOUR make commands, edit grub.conf and do a lot of testing.
48 > Now you have to add one extra tiny little command to the end. It's one
49 > little bullet point in your process.
50 >
51 It isn't really all that complicated, and there are plenty of tools to
52 help you automate most of it (i.e. genkernel). The one command you have
53 to run at the end is::
54
55 emerge -1av /lib/modules
56
57 Portage will determine what files in there belong to packages it manages
58 and rebuild them. It doesn't take all that long.
59
60 > Surely you can't be claiming that is a huge problem for you?
66 ♫Dustin
67 http://dustin.hatch.name/