From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Succinct compilation of system info...
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:38:11
1 Scott Stoddard <scott@×××××××××××.ca> writes:
2
3 > Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> What is the standard or common way to compile a detailed yet succinct
5 >> listing of system info. Are there tools that do this? Or maybe one
6 >> of those 16 inch cmdlines
7 >> with 2 dozen pipes... :)
10 > Well, if you're talking about all hardware then I tend to prefer
11 > sys-apps/lshw which can generate ascii/html output or run with a gui.
12 >
13 > If you want more of a summary of things, you could consider lspci and
14 > lsusb (found in pciutils and usbutils respectively).
15
16 Thanks, I wasn't aware of lshw. But I was thinking more along the
17 lines BelarcAdvisor in the windows world.
18
19 But different in the sense that it isn't gui. With Belarc you have to
20 start and run the gui, which generates an html page. To get a text
21 file you can `save as' from the gui.
22
23 I want straight command line so redirect is possible, but a thorough
24 summary. Not just hdw or pci or usb. I want that but also what
25 filesystems, which users, all installed software. How much data on
26 which partitions, all devices broken down into their uses such as
27 ethernet, disk controller etc etc.
28
29 In general a full scope summary. It seems this would have been
30 invented long ago, for the treasure trove it would supply to
31 developers.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list