From: Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Announcement] gentoo-class: 06/14 on command-line
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:14:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 we've decided to hold a small gentoo class on IRC next Thursday, and see if it
4 goes well and if the experiment needs to be developed. The topic is
5 "command-line usage" and we will try to speak about the following things:
6
7 1) why use command-line
8 2) what is a shell? a terminal? how to choose/install/launch one
9 3) common commands (ls/cd/cp/mv/rm/mkdir/man/...)
10 4) completion
11 5) more advanced commands (cat/less/vim/ps/top/mount/dmesg/...)
12 6) piping
13 7) tips and tricks
14
15 This is intended as a beginner course. You will only need a working linux (not
16 necessarily gentoo) install and an irc client. If you already know the basic
17 use of command-line, don't expect to learn anything. We won't go into more
18 advanced topics like shell scripting or sed usage.
19
20 The class is expected to last for one hour, and will be followed by half an
21 hour of Q&A, and open floor after that. The channel will be mute but we will
22 still be able to read you and will voice people who have interesting questions.
23
24 The time will be 8pm UTC (that's 4pm on the east coast, 10pm in western
25 europe, 9pm in the UK), and the place #gentoo-class on irc.freenode.net.
26 Everyone is welcome.
27
28 If you can't attend, the logs will be available, and hopefully also a more readable edited version.
29
30 Thanks,
31 /Alexandre
32 --