From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] df showing rootfs
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:41:48
1 On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:35:10 -0400
2 Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:44:39PM +0300, Penguin Lover Daniel Iliev
5 > squawked:
6 > > Are you, guys, doing some funky remounts like switch_root or
7 > > pivot_root (perhaps in initrd or initfs)?
10 > Not that I know of. I am definitely not using initfs or initrd. Don't
11 > know about switch_root or pivot_root (where would those come up?)
12
13 [START OT]
14 Think of those as of one-file images of a very basic GNU/Linux system,
15 which are used when you need to do some things before mounting
16 the "real" root FS. The kernel extracts those images in the RAM as
17 root file system executes the commands they contain After this "basic"
18 system has finished its job you need to switch to the "real" system by
19 mounting the "real" root and executing the "real" /sbin/init. Then you
20 use "switch_root" or "pivot_root" to tell the kernel to drop the root fs
21 from the RAM and start working with the "real" root fs.
22 [END OT]
25 > I am curious why it reads "rootfs" and "/dev/root" in the output of df
26 > instead of "/dev/hda2" as I have it in my /etc/fstab, and why there
27 > are two entries.
28 >
29 > W
32 Alright. Perhaps "man libblkid".
33
34 Which leads me to one *really wild* guess after which I'm out of
35 ideas. Try refreshing your block device identification cache by:
36
37 rm /etc/blkid.tab* && blkid
41 P.S.
42
43 "On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:44:39PM +0300, Penguin Lover Daniel Iliev
44 squawked: ..." <-- *ROFL* !
50 Best regards,
51 Daniel
52 --