From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Autofs or ivman?
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:19:52
1 Hi there,
2
3 I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
4 ivman instead.
5 Which does gentoo-users think I should use?
6
7 My principal interest is in NFS mounting /usr/portage on my PS3 & an
8 old laptop, as neither has a lot of disk-space - I have an always-on
9 server that can export the directory - but also in mounting a bunch
10 of /media/video/[0..9]/ directories.
11
12 I guess I'm likely to use CD / DVD in the near future & USB / CF
13 flash memory at some point in the future - I can imagine it being
14 desirable to have the system mount one device as /mnt/external-
15 harddrive and another at /media/photos (determined by device / vendor
16 ID?) but I'm not sure if this is the job of the automounter or udev?
17
18 Reading the autofs howto [1], it bothers me that common practice is
19 to have a bunch of /mnt/auto/foo, /mnt/auto/bar, directories
20 symlinked into the places they're REALLY supposed to go. Another
21 guide makes a /var/autofs/ tree of directories, but whatever - why do
22 I have to have this extra clutter of all these extra symlinks?!?! I
23 just want the network filesystem to be mounted in some sensible
24 place, just as if I'd typed `mount server:/usr/portage /usr/portage`.
25 I appreciate there's probably a good reason for the way autofs works,
26 bit it does make ivman look more interesting.
27
28 My concern with ivman is that googling it doesn't turn up a bunch of
29 beginners' guides the way googling autofs does. The ivman howto [3]
30 discusses incompatibility problems with different versions, and
31 indicates that the /etc/init.d/script isn't provided by the ebuild,
32 but must be managed outside of portage. I don't have a problem with
33 that, per-se, but it suggests to me that ivman isn't so well
34 supported, a suggestion which seems to be supported by ivman's
35 sourceforge page [4] which was last updated February last year and
36 which says "Ivman is currently developed by ?????"
37
38 So it's a bit of a dilemma for me. Because of my compulsive nature,
39 autofs' clutter of symlinks really bothers me, and ivman's
40 ConfigActions look really powerful - it looks like you can have it
41 automatically exec a command when a specific device is plugged in,
42 for instance.
43
44 But I want to set this up once & forget it - I really don't want to
45 be learning & configuring now a package which will be unsupported in
46 the future.
47
48 Thanks in advance for any comments,
49