From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 16:04:30
1 On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 04:30:31PM +0100, thegeezer wrote:
2 > >> i read in slashdot that there is a question mark over SELinux because it came
3 > >> from the NSA [4] but this is nonsense, as it is a means of securing processes
4 > >> not network connections. i find it difficult to believe that a backdoor in a
5 > >> locked cupboard in your house can somehow give access through the front door.
6 > > This point you get wrong. SELinux implement the LSM API (in fact the LSM API
7 > > was tailored to SELinux needs). It has hooks in nearly everything
8 > > (file/directory access, process access and also sockets). One of the biggest
9 > > concerns at the time of creation of the LSM API was rootkits hooking that
10 > > functions. It's definitively a thread. I'm not saying that SELinux contains
11 > > a backdoor (I for myself would have hidden it in the LSM part, not in SELinux
12 > > because that would enable me to use it even if other LSMs are used). If you
13 > > google for "underhanded C contest" you'll see that it's possible to hide
14 > > malicious behaviour in plain sight. And if the kernel is compromised all other
15 > > defenses mean nothing. (As I said, I don't want to spread fearbut that is
16 > > something to consider imho).
17 > Interesting, I didn't realise LSM provisioned hooks for SELinux -
18 > thought it it was more modular (and less 'shoehorned') than that.
19 > I need to go read about that some more now
22 You can start here:
23
24 http://www.freetechbooks.com/efiles/selinuxnotebook/The_SELinux_Notebook_The_Foundations_3rd_Edition.pdf
25
26 for a general overview (page 64ff has a list of the hooks).
27 Other than that http://www.kroah.com/linux/talks/ols_2002_lsm_paper/lsm.pdf and
28 http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/publications/implementing_selinux.pdf may be
29 of interest (though both are quite old).
30
31 WKR
32 Hinnerk