From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xen and NUMA
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:34:15
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 4 November 2015 13:14:18 CET, hw <hw@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> how do I know whether xen uses NUMA or not? It says in dmesg:
9 >> [ 0.000000] NUMA turned off
10 >> [ 0.000000] Faking a node at [mem
11 >> 0x0000000000000000-0x0000000040068fff]
14 >> and 'xl info -n' shows two nodes:
17 >> node: memsize memfree distances
18 >> 0: 14656 3304 10,20
19 >> 1: 23424 7792 20,10
22 >> which could be right --- though I would expect each node to have 12GB
23 >> rather than these weird sizes.
24 >>
25 >> So is NUMA turned off or not? Is it even possible to turn it off when
26 >> it's
27 >> enabled in the BIOS?
28 >
29 > If BIOS has it enabled. Then the OS still beeds to support it.
30 >
31 > Recent Xen has support for it.
32
33 Is there any way to find out if it's actually made use of?
34
35 > As for the non uniform spread of the memory. It depends how the memory modules are placed in the mainboard with regards to the Numa nodes. (CPU)
36
37 The memory is evenly spread. The server has two CPUs with 6 memory banks each.
38 All banks for each CPU are loaded identically. Hence two NUMA nodes would make
39 sense, and each of them should see/have 12GB (now 14 each because I changed out
40 the server because it kept crashing/freezing/becoming unreachable even after the
41 software updates).