From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is cups crap?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:03:41
1 Hello all,
2
3 I am trying to configure a small network (two desktops and a notebook) to
4 share printers.
5
6 Desktop 1 runs Gentoo and has a B/W Laserjet on LPT1
7 Desktop 2 runs OpenSuSE 10.0 and has a color Laserjet on LPT1
8 The Notebook is a Thinkpad runing OpenSuSE 10.0 nad has no printer attached.
9
10 Both printers are intalled on their computers and work fine... localy
11
12 On the Gentoo computer I have managed to intall the color Laserjet in Cups
13 (connecting though localhost:631). The interresting thing is that I can print
14 a test page from the KDE printer manager on either printers, but the very
15 same test fails from localhost:631 with the message "you don't have access to
16 the resources on this server" (?!). Anyway, from this computer everything
17 works, which is the most improtant to me.
18
19 Now to the two SuSE computers. Desktop 2 shares it's printer but can't see the
20 B/W laserjet on Desktop 1. Neither can the Notebook - but it can print on the
21 color printer. I can print the test page on the color printer, but I can't
22 set a root password for cups (unable to open passwd file: Permission denied ;
23 and I _was_ root!). On the notebook lppasswd works. On Gentoo I get the
24 message: "lppasswd: failed to backup old password file: No such file or
25 directory"
26
27 The B/W Laserjet does show up, but it's not usable, and on the other computers
28 I even have ghost printers (Laserjet_Color@Desktop1). On the Notebookand
29 Desktop 2 the Laserjet 1300 is seen as "Printer State: idle, accepting jobs"
30 but there is no url and trying to print a test page either gives "you don't
31 have access to the resources on this server" (Desktop 2) or "Test page sent"
32 but nothing is ever printed.
33
34 >From the KDE printer manager Notebook can print on the color Printer attached
35 to Desktop 2 but does not have access to laserjet on Desktop 1, while Desktop
36 2 (from localhost:631) is forbidden to use Laserjet 1300 but can print on
37 it's own local printer......
38
39 Now, appart from the fact that three recent installations of cups work in
40 three different ways (so I must confess I'm quite lost), and the fact that
41 all three cupsd.conf files are mostly the same, How can I make the Gentoo
42 computer share its printer ??
43
44 Thierry
47 Stupidity is like a fractal; universal and infinitely repetitive.
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list