From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rootkit?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:14:08
1 On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan
3 > <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> One of the servers I manage has a strange problem.
5 >>
6 >> Every 24h, someone starts a process shows up as perl in the list, but
7 >> launching command is /usr/sbin/httpd.
8 >> It shows just one process, but when I run something like this:
9 >>
10 >> ps -C perl -o cmd,pid
11 >>
12 >> I get some 5-6 processes alternatively with cmd as /usr/sbin/httpd or
13 >> /usr/bin/perl.
14 >>
15 >> The even more interesting thing is, /usr/sbin/httpd does not exist.
16 >> I suspect a rootkit, but chkrootkit & rkhunter reported nothing.
17 >>
18 >> Also, I found a mysterious file: /tmp/ips.txt with following content:
19 >> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
20 >> 127.0.0.1
21 >> addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
22 >> addr:
23 >> addr:127.0.0.1
24 >> addr:
25 >>
26 >> Somebody is aware of a malware/rootkit which creates such files?
27 >
28 > No direct experience with Linux rootkits, but you might have better
29 > luck if you run a statically-linked copy of busybox that can talk to
30 > the kernel, rather than going through a potentially malicious libc.
31 >
32 > Is this a server running Gentoo or some other distro?
33
34 Mm. Something else. A process is allowed to modify its argv[0], which
35 changes what you see when you run commands like 'ps'. However, if you
36 take a look at what's in /proc for the PID in question, you might be
37 able get a better idea of the file's origin.
41 :wq