From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:03:27
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> [08-10-09 20:23]:
3 >> Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2008 19:48:37 schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
4 >>> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
5 >>> the new kernel while the old one is still running?
6 >> KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/source emerge nvidia-driver
7 >>
8 >>> Would save me one reboot...
9 >> Why?
10 >>
11 >> 1) Build new kernel
12 >> 2) reboot
13 >> 3) emerge nvidia-driver
14 >> 4) modprobe nvidia
15 >> 5) /etc/init.d/xdm start
16 >>
17 >> One reboot.
18 >>
19 >> Bye...
20 >>
21 >> Dirk
24 > Hi Dirk,
25 >
26 > thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
27 >
28 > Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
29 > for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?
30 >
31 > Kind regards,
32 > mcc
35 almost certainly yes.
36
37 point /usr/src/linux to the subdirectory that contains the unbooted
38 source code.
39
40 the compiler should look for the source code via /usr/src/linux.
41
42 HTH