From: the <the.guard@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to determine 'Least Common Denominator' between Xen(Server) Hosts
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 05:39:12
1 On 08/14/13 09:18, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Hello list!
3 >
4 > My company has 2 HP DL585 G5 servers and 5 Dell R... something servers.
5 > All using AMD processors. They currently are acting as XenServer hosts.
6 >
7 > How do I determine the 'least common denominator' for Gentoo VMs
8 > (running as XenServer guests), especially for gcc flags?
9 >
10 > I know that the (theoretical) best performance is to use -march=native ,
11 > but since the processors of the HP servers are not exactly the same as
12 > the Dell's, I'm concerned that compiling with -march=native will render
13 > the VMs unable to migrate between the different hosts.
14 >
15 > Note: Yes I know the HP servers are much older than the Dell ones, but
16 > if I go -march=native then perform an emerge when the guest is on the
17 > Dell host, the guest VM might not be able to migrate to the older HPs.
18 >
19 > Rgds,
20 > --
21 >