From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small computing recommendations?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:17:40
1 On 12/10/2016 13:56, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > My birthday's coming up in 10 days and my SO and others are wanting to
3 > know what to get me for my birthday. I'm slowly growing tired of trying
4 > to keep my desktop Gentoo machine lightweight and "clean", so it'd be
5 > fun to hack on a little computer that I could possibly DIY a case or
6 > other arrangement for. Maybe a file/web server, or a "freetoo" machine
7 > where I can experiment with being rigidly FSF-APPROVED or other fun
8 > shenanigans.
9 >
10 > I've looked around at the Raspberry Pi 3, the Pocket CHIP (I also have
11 > PICO-8 and am hacking something for it), the Pi Zero, and have heard
12 > about the Beaglebone and Arduino, though isn't the latter meant for more
13 > interactive or robotic thing due to the large array of IO pins?
14 >
15 > If I had the right tools or gadgets, creating my own UMPC would be
16 > really fun.
17 >
18 > At a minimum, I would prefer HDMI instead of composite or VGA, though it
19 > could be headless and I just use SSH or an Adafruit LCD.
20 >
21 > Any opinions or use cases and stories would be much appreciated. I would
22 > prefer running Gentoo on it, but Debian, Mint, or Slackware would be
23 > tolerable.
27 Those devices are dirt cheap, ask for one of each :-)
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com