From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] try gentoo again?....LIVE version device support?
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 00:13:37
1 On May 10, 2006, at 4:48 PM, ted leslie wrote:
2
3 > Feed up with a few other distros, i am giving GENTOO another look.
4 > I tried it when it first came out and had .. hmmm. .... a bit of
5 > trouble.
6 > I assume things are alot more refined now.
7 >
8 > I am looking for a distro to base a LIVE DVD (or CD) from,
9 >
10 > Can anyone comment on how good GENTOO LIVE CD is on device detection,
11 > in particular Network cards, USB, and to a lesser extent graphics/
12 > monitors.
13 I haven't tested live cds extensively, but i have a fairly odd box
14 here, amd64 with a broadcomm gig-e adapter and an nvidia gig-e
15 adapter, no sound card, ati rage xl video onboard. I also have an
16 ibm netfinity 5100 and a dell laptop, all running gentoo. all
17 devices available at the live cd. However.... i did find quite a bit
18 of problems with the amd64 with a 3ware 8000 series sata raid
19 controller. I ended up having to install ubuntu 64-bit on a small
20 partition and use that to install gentoo. wasn't too happy about
21 that. But that is the ONLY device non-starter on all the hardware
22 i've thrown at gentoo. Now, i'm not really using the livecd...just
23 for install purposes... But I must say, knoppix was every bit as
24 good on the same hardware...except for sound on the inspiron 1100
25 laptop.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list