From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:19:32
1 Am 18.08.2011 03:35, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed 17 August 2011 17:23:41 Michael Mol did opine thusly:
4 >>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I currently use a free service to host the DNS records for my
6 >>>> website, but I'm thinking of running a DNS server on the same
7 >>>> machine that runs my website instead. Would that be fairly
8 >>>> trivial to set up and maintain? If so, which package should I
9 >>>> use?
10 >>>
11 >>> ISC bind is the de facto standard for DNS servers. I haven't
12 >>> administered bind on Gentoo, but on Debian, most of the problems I
13 >>> run into come from how Debian packages and updates configuration
14 >>> files.
15 >>>
16 >>> I'm not running DNS servers in any major production capacity; I've
17 >>> got a bind server at home linking my home domain and my employer's
18 >>> work domain across a VPN, and updated dynamically via a dhcpd on
19 >>> the same server. It's also serving as a caching recursive resolver
20 >>> for my home network, which was *really* necessary when I was still
21 >>> on AT&T. (The DSL link was dropping packets every now and again,
22 >>> and it's a PITA when that happens to DNS queries)
23 >>
24 >> You're running an auth server and a cache on the same machine?
25 >
26 > Split across a couple views, but yeah. And no recursion allowed on the wan side.
29 >> At a minimum they should be on different interfaces and preferably in
30 >> chroots. Otherwise all manner of $BAD_STUFF happens.
31 >
32 > Hm. Interested.
33 >
34 > echo $BAD_STUFF