From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} video monitoring
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 14:12:58
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I've been using motion along with USB cameras for a while. I need to
5 > expand my monitoring capacity and I'm wondering if I should consider
6 > changing software or hardware. motion seems fairly dead but is
7 > stable. I'm reading conflicting info about the current status of
8 > zoneminder. Is anyone using IP cams?
11 Hello Grant,
12
13 Some years ago, the slickest webserver plus zoneminder setup was this
14
15 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cherokee/users/2450
16
17 cherokee + zoneminder + php
20 Another solution is to get some pci cards that take a coax input
21 from a coax cable (RG/59 or RG6 for distance) directly into the PC.
22 There you can convert the streaming video into h.264 and move it
23 around the ethernet. Encoder (coax to h.264) pci cards use to abound
24 such as Qsee, Avermedia etc etc.
25
26 You can also get embedded boards from TI that include the DaVinci
27 package which take in coax and convert it to H.264.
28
29 I use to get the best information about the key chips reading the
30 linux
31 kernel driver documentation found in the old drivers. Many of
32 the drivers (most?) have been unified and the in-driver
33 documents therein
34 will be mostly useless, so old 2.4 and 2.6 drivers for specific
35 chipsets is the best source, if you really want to dig into
36 video over IP. Most currently manufactured IP cams go to great links
37 to make their hardware a "black box" on what they are doing
38 to output the H.264. [2]
39
40 Furthermore, you have to delve in the "container" versus the packets
41 when you find incompatibilities. Many of the advanced ethernet
42 sniffing software packages have h.264 filters build in [1]. It's all
43 H.264, just a lot of software gymnastics to frustrate folks from
44 rolling their own video solution.
45
46 If I were to get serious about video/IP, I'd go with
47 VP8 (google's standard)
48 and find a codec (opensource) that could be put on a micro
49 processor board; pandaboard? [3]. Googling around and I'm
50 sure you can find
51 something. [4]
54 usb video sucks, once you try to "scale up" for any sort of
55 serious video
56 surveillance system; imho.
57
58 hth,
59 James
60
61 [1] http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/h/h264.html
62
63 [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8
64
65 [3]
66 https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/
67 Multimedia/Specs/1105/OptimizeVp8Decoding
68
69 [4] http://www.webmproject.org/tools/