From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cups not seeing a wireless host
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:50:37
1 On 4/13/08, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Penguin Lover Kevin O'Gorman
4 > squawked:
5 >
6 > > What I want now is to let my wife's Windows Vista laptop use the
7 > printer.
8 > > I've seen how to set up an LPD printer in Vista, and it's a bit easier
9 > than
10 > > it was in XP. However, it does not work at all -- I cannot print a test
11 > > page. The Vista box seems to think everything's fine, but nothing
12 > > happens at the printer.
13 > >
14 > > The Vista machine is connected via wireless to my LAN, where CUPS is
15 > > working, and where a NAT router also gives access to the wider
16 > > internet. It seems that this should work, but it does not.
19 > So, something got lost somewhere between your vista box and your cups
20 > server, eh? Some logs would be nice. (On vista, open up the print
21 > queue, and see if there are any errors; on gentoo, give us
22 > /var/log/cups/, preferably trimmed to show just before you tried to
23 > send a print job from the laptop and just after.)
26 On vista, it pops up a dialog saying a test page has been sent. I don't see
27 any
28 queued jobs for this.
29
30 On cups/gentoo, there's no sign of activity. The logs don't add a single
31 line, even with logging set to "debug".
32
33 Right now I'm trying to clean up the configuration. The logs for startup
34 show some problems with ports which I'm having some trouble deciphering. I
35 only get a few minutes per day to work on this, so it goes slowly.
36
37 ++ kevin
43 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD