From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] SVGA mode & the console
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:29:34
1 Hi,
2
3 there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
4 and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
5
6 Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
7 card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
8
9 So far so nice...
10
11 The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
12
13 When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
14 linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
15
16 When I use the same option with my kernel (2.6.36.2 vanilla) it
17 ends in a console font/resolution which reminds me at the good
18 old times when 8bit homecomputers were the dream of many people
19 and PACMAN was top! ;)
20
21 I tried "vga=asK" and then "scan" but the highest resolution I was
22 offered were 80x60 and only VGA-modes, which again looks like the
23 "high resolution textmode" of my old ATARI 800...and not like that
24 nice looking console which I get with the same hardware and the GRML
25 distro.
26
27 I compared both the kernel config of the GRML distro and my
28 own but I didn't found nay suspicious (or overlooked something?).
31 Final question after all there words: How can I get such a high
32 resolution with this hardware and the nvidia-drivers???
33
34 Best regards and a happy new 2011!
35 mcc