From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -pv mplayer questions
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:39:44
1 On 9/18/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8
4 > apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr
5 > sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
6 <SNIP>
7
8 So Walter's point would be that you could add
9
10 mmx mmxext sse sse2 3dnow 3dnowext
11
12 to your use flags, either globally in your make.conf file or for
13 specific packages in package.use. Adding these flags will enable clode
14 within the program being emerged specifically supporting those
15 features.
16
17 My point was that without adding these flags to the compile options
18 (CXFLAGS) in make.conf I'm not clear that adding the flags in the USE
19 section of make.conf does anything to generate actual sse or mmx code.
20
21 I'd like to hear from some folks who really understand how gcc works
22 about this. It's confused me for quite awhile.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list