From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Lost free space on /
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:20:19
1 On 06/11/2009 10:40 AM, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009 09:33:46 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >
4 >> I tried too but it slows down disk speed to a crawl when there's disk
5 >> activity by an order of magnitude (commands take 3-4 seconds to execute
6 >> while without LVM they give sub-second responses.)
7 >
8 > Hmm, that's strange. I've never seen this and I use LVM since it first appeared
9 > on Linux. On Laptops, I even encrypt the logical volumes without a significant
10 > speed impact.
11
12 It's only there where's disk activity. For example, if I have 4 or more
13 torrents downloading. When that happens, typing "mc" (to start midnight
14 commander) needs about 4 seconds. It's almost instant without LVM.
15
16 The speed impact on one of my servers (100+ shell users) was dramatic.
17 10 seconds for a simple "ls /" for example.