From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Compilation error mpv / libav
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 07:28:39
1 On 08/11/17 05:51, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > I installed ffmpeg-9999 and it compiles fines.
3 >
4 > Everything else failed again (for example mpv-9999).
5 >
6 > Why does an update of already ok installed applications
7 > break something in parts because the installation
8 > has components, which are mutually exclusive?
9 > They weren't before (whichout the update everythong was fine...)
10
11 With mpv, I'd recommend using their own build system if you want the
12 current git version of mpv. It compiles ffmpeg too and uses it
13 privately, which frees you from the burden of having to emerge
14 ffmpeg-9999 and break other packages that rely on ffmpeg.
15
16 If the mpv ebuild has a "bundled-ffmpeg' USE flag, we would be fine. But
17 since it doesn't, it's recommended to not use Gentoo's mpv ebuild and
18 instead build it manually. Fortunately, mpv's build script is easy to
19 use. You just run it from time to time and it will get you a build from
20 latest git using latest ffmpeg.