From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 19:09:12
1 On 02/01/2018 11:50 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > etc is from the Latin et cetera, meaning "I couldn't be bothered thinking
3 > of any more".
4
5 ~chuckle~
6
7 IMHO that makes the name of the "/etc" directory all that much more
8 entertaining. As in Dennis R. and Ken T. couldn't be bothered to come
9 up with more directory names than they had, e.g. /bin /lib /boot /var …
10 (I can't be bothered to think of or look for more.)
11
12 Yes, the puns are intended. }:-)
13
14 P.S. I find this thread interesting and timely as I had been thinking
15 about researching the etymology and use of "i.e.".
20 Grant. . . .
21 unix || die