From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR & GPT dual compliant format
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:37:13
1 On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 26 July 2016 10:29:08 CEST, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Artur Zych <artur.zych@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> If you're using GPT disk and want to use uefi then you can just create
6 >>> one efi partition (should be around 200-500mb (depends if you're
7 >>> planning on using multiple systems on the same disk) - this will hold
8 >>> .efi files for all your systems as well as the bootloader.
9 >>>
10 >>> I you're using GTP but want to stick to MBR, then you create 1MB
11 >>> partition to hold the boot loader, then /boot and the rest.
12 >>>
13 >>> About the 100MB EFI-partition: it's a Microsoft recommendation:
14 >>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_System_Partition, read the
15 >>> "create the partition" section.
16 >>
17 >> Please bottom-post.
18 >>
19 >> The OP wants a partition scheme for both "standard" and efi firmware,
20 >> so he wants an EF02 (gdisk name) of 1MB and an EF00 (also gdisk name).
21 >>
22 >> The OP wanted the EF02 to be mounted as "/boot" so it has to be
23 >> larger than 100MB in order to accomodate multiple kernels (and
24 >> possibly initramfs "thingies" as they're sometimes called here).
25 >
26 > It's the ESP (EF00) that can be used as /boot, EF02 is a special
27 > partition that should exist but not be used.
28
29 Good catch.
30
31 I no longer have my initial email but it looks like I also screwed up
32 my first para and emailed it unfinished; somehow.