From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.4 -> 2.6 wierdness
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:36:13
1 these are my autoload modules, commented are ones that some HOWTO pointed to
2 but never worked.
3
4 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
5 agpgart
6 #via-agp
7 #ati-agp
8 fglrx
9 #radeon
10 rtc
11 snd-via82xx
12 r8169
13 #drm
14 amd64-agp
17 On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:55, Holly Bostick wrote:
18 > Jerry McBride schreef:
19 > > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 06:00 pm, creighto@××××××.org wrote:
20 > >>Trying to Migrate to 2.6. But when I reboot into my new genkerneled
21 > >>system, I cannot use X.org anymore, it complains about agpgart not
22 > >>working. Even If I modprobe the kernel mod or even compile it in
23 > >> directly it rejects it.
24 > >>Any Ideas on how to proceed?
25 > >>
26 > >>Creighton
27 > >
28 > > Without seeing the xorg logfile from /var/logs... I'd say you ahve to
29 > > re-emerge xorg or at the least run revdep-rebuild -p to see whta has to
30 > > get upgraded also.
31 >
32 > I question whether that would work, without knowing what hardware
33 > (motherboard, videocard) is involved, especially when I hear the word
34 > 'genkernel'.
35 >
36 > To me, errors in agpgart first suggest that either support for your
37 > motherboard's agp chipset is not compiled into the kernel, or --if
38 > compiled as a module, is not loaded; and secondly, the outside chance
39 > that-- if using an ATI card-- the InternalAGPGART setting is wrong; set
40 > to YES when it should be set to NO because you have to use your
41 > motherboard's kernel module (but this does not usually result in X.org
42 > not starting, just complaints in the logs), or set to NO when it should
43 > be set to YES because you don't use your motherboard's kernel support,
44 > so no agpgart is being loaded at all (which I would imagine would
45 > prevent X from starting).
46 >
47 > What does dmesg or /var/log/messages say about agpgart? Did it try to
48 > load and fail? What does lsmod say is loaded? If nothing, can you
49 > modprobe your agpgart module? What is your mobo and video card? If an
50 > ATI or nVidia video card, did you re-emerge the drivers after compiling
51 > the kernel?
52 >
53 > Basically, I'd just like to confirm that genkernel didn't drop the ball.
54 >
55 > Holly
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list