From: "Rafael Fernández López" <info@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:48:46
1 Hi,
2
3 An idea came to my mind. I'm a proud Gentoo User, and I see day by day how
4 portage gets clever and how my Gentoo distro does work better everyday.
5
6 I'm gonna make a very little proposal (maybe it's now developed, but I've no
7 idea how to make it work).
8
9 Since Linux Kernel has become so big (almost 300MB) I'd like to suggest
10 something. I don't want to download newer versions of Linux kernel, because
11 my computer does work perfectly with the current one (maybe I'll install a
12 very later one, but I'm not going to change my 2.6.11 with a 2.6.14). I don't
13 want portage to download them, nor install them, because always that portage
14 downloads and installs them, I've to do an "emerge unmerge", it's a lot of
15 space disk, and I need it.
16
17 If I set gentoo-sources in package.mask, the apps, libraries that depends on
18 it won't install, and an "emerge -vuD world" will fail, and won't update
19 other packages. Well, if it's a critical dependance I'll have to install new
20 kernel version, but If it is not, why?.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Rafael Fernández López.
24 --
25 A la vista de suficientes ojos todos los errores resultan evidentes - Linus
26 Torvalds