From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can I do a one-time boot to non-default kernel in Lilo?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:18:18
1 Not exactly your typical "remote machine", but the principle is the
2 same. I have a dedicated HTPC machine next to my 50" plasma, connected
3 by 50 feet of ethernet cable to my computer den. I use the TV as a
4 monitor when running NHL GameCenter Live.
5
6 I have Lilo set up to "dual boot" between a "production" and an
7 "experimental" kernel. The first (i.e. default) boot option is the
8 "production" kernel. When I set up a new kernel, I try to always run it
9 as experimental. Even if the kernel panics, I don't<G>. I boot back
10 into the production kernel, and try again. Once the experimental kernel
11 has run for a couple of weeks without problems, I copy it over the
12 production kernel.
13
14 One problem... if I build a new kernel, is there a way to get the
15 "remote machine" to boot to the non-default experimental kernel just
16 once? Any future boots to default to production (unless its a restart
17 from hibernate).
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>