From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub: how to install new version of stage 1
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 20:06:59
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 31 May 2009 18:12:34 John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On Saturday 30 May 2009 20:59:00 John P. Burkett wrote:
5 >>>> The manual suggests doing "grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda"
6 >>>> but later says "If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the
7 >>>> --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the
8 >>>> (non-existing) floppy drives." My machine has a floppy drive. Should I
9 >>>> omit the --no-floppy option and just do "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
10 >>> The manual is actually quite clear if you know even just a little bit
11 >>> about boot loaders.
12 >>>
13 >>> Use --no-floppy if
14 >>>
15 >>> a) you do not have a floppy drive
16 >>> b) you do not intend grub to use the floppy drive you do have
17 >>>
18 >>> The question you should be asking is "have I ever booted off a floppy
19 >>> drive in the last X years, and do I ever intend do so again?"
20 >>>
21 >>> The first example in the manual is assuming the answers are no and no -
22 >>> pretty normal for the vast majority of users.
23 >> Thanks, Dale and Alan, for your suggestions. Doing
24 >> grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
25 >> as root elicits the following response:
26 >> /dev/md1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
27 >>
28 >> In my /dev directory, I see a sda and a md1 file.
29 >>
30 >> Suggestions for diagnosing or resolving the problem would be much
31 >> appreciated.
32 >>
33 >> John
34 >
35 > md1 is a software raid drive. grub may or may not be able to read it depending
36 > on what kind of raid it is.
37 >
38 > But I doubt you are booting from that if you have an sda, so even though grub
39 > finds it, just don't use it and ignore the message. You told grub where to
40 > install the boot loader, and it will have done that.
41 >
42 Thanks, Alan. I'll trust that grub works now.
43 -John
47 John P. Burkett
48 Department of Economics
49 University of Rhode Island