From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing line-drawing characters on re-install
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 18:38:13
1 On Friday, 30 December 2022 13:29:30 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 01:05:26PM +0000, Michael wrote
3 >
4 > > I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this
5 > > rendering problem. Have you checked:
6 > >
7 > > 1. VT console.
8 > > 2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
9 > > 3. Different DE/Window Manager.
10 >
11 > A bit of digging. For text tty's (tty1, tty2, etc) I use solar24x32
12 > as the font. On a text tty both mc and mutt work fine (line-drawing)
13 > natively without any hacks. They also work fine on urxvt without any
14 > hacks. Note that the ebuild that provides urxvt is called, wait for it,
15 >
16 > rxvt-unicode
17 >
18 > It looks like urxvt is designed from square 1 to handle unicode, and
19 > xterm is not.
20
21 OKie dOKie, it is a terminal rendering issue then. I'm not on a PC with mutt
22 right now, so can't confirm, but these are the xterm USE flags I use here:
23
24 ~ $ equery u x11-terms/xterm
25 [ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
26 [ : I - package is installed with flag ]
27 [ Colors : set, unset ]
28 * Found these USE flags for x11-terms/xterm-376:
29 U I
30 - - Xaw3d : Add support for the 3d athena widget set
31 + + openpty : Use openpty() in preference to posix_openpt()
32 - - sixel : Enable sixel graphics support
33 - - toolbar : Enable the xterm toolbar to be built
34 + + truetype : Add support for FreeType and/or FreeType2 fonts
35 + + unicode : Add support for Unicode
36 - - verify-sig : Verify upstream signatures on distfiles
37 - - xinerama : Add support for querying multi-monitor screen geometry
38 through the Xinerama API
39
40 I rarely use xterm and can't recall how it behaves with mutt, so I'm not sure
41 if the above flags would make any difference. If xterm is your favourite
42 terminal you may want to give these flags a spin.