From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about recording webcam+mic on netbook
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 09:04:53
1 On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 07:36:16AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
2 > On Oct 5, 2012 3:23 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I'm getting really ambitious with my 3-year-old Acer netbook, now that
5 > > open source Poulsbo video support exists. After tweaking the kernel,
6 > > I've got the webcam+mic recording with the command...
7 >
8 > Check out 'uvcview'.
9
10 I assume you meant luvcview. It works for monitoring, but I can't
11 figure out how to record properly...
12
13 1) It outputs a raw stream file (named "stream.raw") which mplayer can't
14 figure out how to play.
15
16 2) How do I get it to record audio too?
17
18 I wouldn't mind transcoding the raw output, if I could get sound in
19 there. ffmpeg can record mpeg4 video plus mp3 sound. The video has
20 blocky artifacts when there's motion on the screen. I tried ffmpeg with
21 x264 codec, but the cpu is simply not up to it. I used cpufreq-utils to
22 push both cores to their max speed (1.3 ghz) but it didn't help.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications