From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Update to "make" breaks lots of things...
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:14:08
1 On 2011-08-08, Albert W. Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On Monday, August 8 at 18:30 (+0000), Grant Edwards said:
5 >
6 >> I don't think this is Gentoo-specific, but I've noticed that a recent
7 >> update to "make" is causing makefile breakage. For example, trying to
8 >> build a Linux 2.6.28 kernel:
9 >>
10 >> beta linux-2.6.28-gentoo-r5 # make oldconfig
11 >> Makefile:442: *** mixed implicit and normal rules. Stop.
12 >>
13 >> Apparently the authors of "make" are cracking down on things that have
14 >> been allowed for many years. As a result, some Makefiles don't work
15 >> anymore.
16 >>
17 >> At least for me, that means that "make" now needs to be slotted so
18 >> that I can keep an older version around that's compatible with older
19 >> Makefiles. Is there any chance of that?
20 >>
21 >> [I don't suppose anybody knows off-hand which version of "make"
22 >> introduced all the breakage?]
23 >
24 > Have not experienced this (GNU Make 3.82).
25
26 I downgraded from 3.82 to 3.81, and all is well. If you look at
27 bugzilla, make 3.82 caused a bunch of ebuilds to fail. Apparently
28 those ebuilds have now incoroporated patches for the Makefiles to work
29 around the problem with 3.82.
30
31 If you never build anything except using ebuild out of the package
32 database, that's fine.
33
34 If however, you use a Gentoo system for something other than Gentoo
35 development, make v3.82 isn't a good thing. In the past week, I've run
36 into issues with the Linux kernel and with several of the Makefiles in
37 an older version of Buildroot (from about a year ago).
38
39 IMO, make 3.82 shouldn't have stable when it was still obviously
40 incompatible with upstream Makefiles.
43 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Am I elected yet?
44 at
45 gmail.com