From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] akonadi ... don't you just love it?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:01:16
1 On 12 August 2014 20:21:03 CEST, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >Am 12.08.2014 um 16:10 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 >> On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 03:38:15 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 12/08/2014 15:28, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>>> On 12 August 2014 14:06:07 CEST, Alan McKinnon
6 ><alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>>>> On 12/08/2014 11:10, Mick wrote:
9 >>>>>> I recall the devs explicitly stating early enough in the KDE4
10 >>>>> development that
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>>> sqlite is not man enough for the job and advising everyone to
13 >move
14 >>>>> over to
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>>> mysql.
17 >>>>>>
18 >>>>>> Someone was looking at postgresql as an alternative to mysql, but
19 >I'm
20 >>>>> not sure
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>> that this would bring any benefit.
23 >>>>> pg is a fine database, but for this use will always be a 2nd class
24 >>>>> citizen. Most users will already have mysql installed, or will be
25 >>>>> willing to install it.
26 >>>>>
27 >>>>> The number of folks with pg and without mysql will probably be
28 >small
29 >>>> Not necessarily.
30 >>>> People who care about databases actually supporting SQL properly
31 >and
32 >>>> performing properly will prefer PostgreSQL.
33 >>>>
34 >>>> I don't like to be forced to run a MySQL instance as well. It's
35 >often the
36 >>>> laziness of developers that causes the difficulty of supporting a
37 >>>> different database when they started with MySQL. If you start with
38 >a
39 >>>> different one, like PostgrSQL, supporting different database
40 >engines is
41 >>>> very simple.
42 >>> I don't think you read what I said.
43 >> Sorry, didn't read the below in what you put.
44 >>
45 >>> I didn't say postgresql shouldn't be supported, I said it would
46 >always
47 >>> end up being a second class citizen as the number of people who'd be
48 >>> happy with mysql will vastly outnumber the number of people who
49 >highly
50 >>> desire postgresql. So, logically, a postgresql driver in this case
51 >will
52 >>> probably just bitrot away. Whihc nicely explains the likely reason
53 >why
54 >>> that driver is not there.
55 >> It wouldn't bitrot away as there would be people willing to keep it
56 >working,
57 >> provided it wouldn't require a MySQL -> SQL translator to be kept
58 >up-to-date.
59 >>
60 >>> People like yourself who care about databases are very much in the
61 >>> minority of users, even on Linux. Most users across the boards just
62 >>> don't give a shit. Them's the breaks.
63 >> Users never care about what they install. I just wish the majority of
64 >
65 >> developers would actually be willing to follow some simple guidelines
66 >to make
67 >> it actually possible to others to write and maintain the drivers to
68 >connect to
69 >> different databases.
70 >>
71 >> Several attempts have been made by people to add support for
72 >different
73 >> databases to various projects. I've tried to do it myself on
74 >occasion, but
75 >> even when patches are accepted by upstream, they get broken by
76 >upstream at a
77 >> future release again because of the bad design that is often employed
78 >by lazy
79 >> developers.
80 >>
81 >> --
82 >> Joost
85 >wasn't qtsql once supposed to that?
86
87 If a framework like qtsql is used, swapping the database is easy.
88
89 Most developers seem to prefer to reinvent the wheel and often come up with something that vaguely resembles a circle and is held together with a mixture of glue and duck tape.
92 Joost
93 --
94 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.