From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nautical Gentoo hardware suggestions?
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 16:31:54
1 Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
4 > > … sci-geosciences/opencpn is in portage [1]
5
6 > > However, much of the time, the Gentoo_nav_hadware will be
7 > > on a 17 foot boat (damp and salty if not wet) … So I'm looking
8 > > for marine grade hardware onto which installation of Gentoo is
9 > > reasonably straightforward.
10
11 > I don't know, but I think I'd start by looking at Android tablets.
12
13 Here is what I've decided on: ChromeOS Arm-15 lappy:
14
15 Samsung Arm Chromebook:
16
17 http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-arm-chromebook
18
19 It pretty much runs Gentoo now, according to Vapier....
20
21 http://dev.chromium.org/
24 > I'm sure there's an ARM version of Debian or Ubuntu that has been
25 > released for mobile devices.
26
27 Better than that, there are linux distros for with a
28 Nautical focus:
29
30 http://marinux.pk973.org/
33 > with some waterproof bags, duck tape &/or rubber sealant you could get a >
34 very waterproof platform for not much money.
35
36 Better idea: Disassemble the lappy and spray down the boards
37 with a conformal coating:
38
39 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
42 thanks,