From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration - caveat
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 05:43:24
1 from luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>:
2
3 > on 2013-07-20 at 09:51 William Kenworthy wrote:
4
5 > You have to map the drive so grub can find it:
6
7 > no, i don't think that's the problem.
8
9 > the problem is that with GPT disks you need a BIOS Boot Partition since
10 > they don't have a MBR. is that correct?
11
12 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_GPT_BIOS_boot_partition
13 > http://www.anchor.com.au/blog/2012/10/the-difference-between-booting-mbr-and-gpt-with-grub/
14
15 I think to boot directly from a hard drive, you would need a BIOS Boot Partition or EFI System Partition, depending on whether the motherboard has legacy BIOS or UEFI. I still boot from a USB stick or System Rescue CD with Syslinux or isolinux and the GRUB2 giant-floppy image (not intended to be written to any actual floppy disk).
16
17 I have also made FreeBSD and NetBSD installations on GPT-partitioned USB sticks without any GRUB, using a boot partition (FreeBSD) or installboot in the root partition (NetBSD), not sure how to do this with Linux. But this only works when one OS is installed on the drive, quite OK for a USB stick in most cases.
20 Tom