From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:27:09
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >> Yesterday I got a new, but rather low-end, PCIe-2 SATA-3 6Gb/S
5 >> adapter card and a reportedly high performance 128GB SSD drive. (Links
6 >> below) Other than my swap getting messed up because it didn't use
7 >> labels (who knew about swaplabel but didn't tell me? ;-) ) the
8 > "mkswap -L name /dev/sdX" :)
9 >
10 >> adapter and drive are in the machine and working fine. Unfortunately
11 >> the performance isn't what I might have hoped for. Both hdparm &
12 >> bonnie++ are reporting numbers in the 200MB/S range rather then the
13 >> 400-500MB/S range that I might have hoped for. The machine is PCIx-2
14 >> based according to its specs.
15 >>
16 >> I'm currently just using a single large partition & ext3. I didn't
17 >> do anything special in fdisk so the partition might not be aligned as
18 >> best it could be. I don't know.
19 >>
20 >> I'm wondering what sort of experience folks have had trying to get
21 >> performance numbers anywhere close to these specs?
22 > Because it is a PCIe x1 slot card, that is the bottleneck. Based on
23 > all I have read, your speeds are normal and you should consider it to
24 > be the fastest speeds you'll see. If you had bought two SSDs and used
25 > them in a RAID configuration, the speed would actually get worse.
26 >
27 > I ran into the same thing a while back, my motherboard actually has
28 > SATA3 on-board, but it is not the primary controller (that one is
29 > SATA2) and it's basically a permanently-installed PCIe controller as
30 > far as speeds are concerned. Because of added latency, the on-board
31 > primary SATA2 is actually faster than the SATA3 when multiple drives
32 > are attached... but it's still faster than a HDD anyway.
33 >
34 > I think the only way we'lll see 500MB/sec on that SSD is to buy a
35 > motherboard which has a SATA3 controller as its primary on-board drive
36 > controller and plug it in to that.
37 >
38 > Look on the bright side, someday when we upgrade our motherboards,
39 > it'll be like we got a free SSD upgrade for our troubles. :)
43 I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP's post. I have a older
44 IDE based machine, about 10 years old, and bought a SATA drive and
45 card. The performance was less than claimed but it was because the bus
46 speed was the bottle neck. When I built my new rig, which is SATA
47 based, the drive was quite a bit faster and I get the speeds I should get.
48
49 The only reason I bought that drive and the card was because I knew I
50 was going to be upgrading and would have SATA on the mobo. OP, when you
51 get a mobo with SATA built in, you should get better, most likely much
52 better, performance.
53
54 Why is it that all puters seem to have a bottle and a neck in them? lol
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!