From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: uvesafb - does it require use of initramfs/initrd?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:15:43
1 On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:43:19 +0000
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 18 January 2009 00:25:49 »Q« wrote:
5 >
6 > > I also have a 1280x800 screen and uvesafb works for me without
7 > > distortion with this kernel video option in grub.conf:
8 > >
9 > > video=uvesafb:1280x800-32,mtrr:3,ywrap
10 >
11 > Do you have that resolution available in your BIOS? I read somewhere
12 > that uvesafb can only use what it finds in the BIOS; in my case there
13 > is no such resolution. Maybe BIOS writers assume that nobody uses a
14 > text screen these days.
15
16 In the BIOS for my mainboard, there doesn't seem to be any mention of
17 resolutions. But my video BIOS does support that resolution, at least
18 according to what shows up in /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes
19 and /sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes
20
21 And yeah, in the "Caveats and Limitations" section of
22 linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt , spock does make it clear that
23 uvesafb can only use modes supported by the video BIOS. I don't think
24 I could live with that -- I'd go back to vesafb if it didn't WFM.
28 »Q«
29 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.