From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:46:45
1 Am 08.04.2013 18:16, schrieb Bruce Hill:
2 > On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:42:23PM +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Mike is right, if it's not a dep of another ebuild, you don't need
5 >> wpa_supplicant. I just upgraded udev to 200 on the last remote box
6 >> (which is always a bit of a thrill after typing reboot <return> :-) ).
7 >> As expected, eth0 came up, everything works fine, wpa_supplicant is not
8 >> installed.
9 >
10 > Don't know what you guys do for rebooting a headless server blindly like this,
11 > nor if it would work for the udev/NIC situation. But fwiw, what I've always
12 > done for new kernels is:
13 >
14 > mingdao@server ~ $ egrep -v "(^#|^ *$)" /etc/lilo.conf
15 > compact
16 > lba32
17 > default = Gentoo-def
18 > boot = /dev/md0
19 > raid-extra-boot = mbr-only
20 > map = /boot/.map
21 > install = /boot/boot-menu.b # Note that for lilo-22.5.5 or later you
22 > # do not need boot-{text,menu,bmp}.b in
23 > # /boot, as they are linked into the lilo
24 > # binary.
25 > menu-scheme=Wb
26 > prompt
27 > timeout=50
28 > append="panic=10 nomce dolvm domdadm rootfstype=xfs"
29 > image = /boot/vmlinuz
30 > root = /dev/md0
31 > label = Gentoo
32 > read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
33 > image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
34 > root = /dev/md0
35 > label = Gentoo-def
36 > read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
37 >
38 > Then issue "lilo -R Gentoo" or whatever the label of your new kernel, and if
39 > it boots, you're okay. If not, after 10 seconds of panic, it automatically
40 > reboots back into the default kernel and you can check logs to see what you've
41 > broken. (panic=10 append statement and default = Gentoo-def) After you know
42 > the new kernel works, comment the default line. (NB: You can name them
43 > differently, etc. It just helps to know before you reboot that if you panic,
44 > the machine will boot back into the known, good, kernel.)
45 >
46 > Granted, this might not help with the udev/NIC situation, but it's saved me
47 > from a few PEBKAC situations, as well as new kernel changes I'd not learned
48 > until the reboot.
51 I have something similar with grub (with grub set default, savedefault,
52 fallback). Also most machines have some sort of rescue access with like
53 ipmi serial over lan or a eric card (kvm). But some remote machines
54 don't and rebooting them is always a thrill :) I mean, there are rescue
55 systems that can be invoked via bootp, but you are blind while rebooting.