From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My first initramfs
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:54:31
1 On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:49:33 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > To create an initramfs, it is important that you know what
4 > > additional drivers, scripts and tools you need to boot your system.
5 > > For instance, if you use LVM, then you will need to support LVM tools
6 > > on the initramfs. Likewise, if you use software RAID, you need mdadm,
7 > > etc.
8 >
9 > I thought I'd mentioned/asked this before, but don't recall a
10 > satisfactory answer...
11 >
12 > Ok, up until now, I haven't *had* to 'know' what additional drivers are
13 > needed by my system to boot.
14 >
15 > So... how the heck am I supposed to find out? Trial and error?
16 >
17 > I do know I need lvm, so have that one listed... but what else? There
18 > has *got* to be some kind of way to analyze an existing system to
19 > reveal the 'drivers, scripts and tools' I need for my initramfs so I
20 > know what to include?
21
22 You need to be able to mount your root filesystem, and possibly /usr.
23
24 So you need anything needed for that that isn't compiled not your kernel,
25 such as SATA drivers, filesystem etc. You would normally build anything
26 like this into the kernel, so you just need the userspace tools. For
27 standard operations, that is all covered by busybox, but if you use LVM,
28 RAID or dmcrypt for those filesystems, include the relevant tools.
29
30 There is a very capable tool for examining your system and deciding what
31 is needed... you.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
38 (Albert Einstein)