From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] per package parallel build
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 22:52:42
1 On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 16:26:58 -0500, John Blinka wrote:
2
3 > > But if you emerge --update libreoffice before the package that is
4 > > forcing the rebuild, why would libreoffice rebuild? I would expect it
5 > > to only rebuild libreoffice after the dependency had been changed.
6 >
7 > That’s exactly what happened. I issued an emerge -DuNv —changed-deps
8 > libreoffice first. That had the effect of 1) first upgrading several
9 > libreoffice dependencies, and 2) subsequently rebuilding libreoffice
10 > once the dependencies changed. I’m guessing emerge is smart enough to
11 > trigger both activities and sequence them appropriately. Operative
12 > word is guess - I don’t pretend to understand the inner workings.
13
14 That's good to know - that it works, i mean, not that you don't
15 understand how ;-)
16 >
17 > > I'm not saying out wouldn't work some of the time, but I can see
18 > > situations where it wouldn't. Whereas
19 > >
20 > > emerge --opts @world --exclude memory-hogs...
21 > > emerge --opts --jobs 1 @world
22 > >
23 > > should always isolate them.
24 >
25 > Agreed that this technique should always work. And it has the
26 > advantage of fewer invocations of emerge. But at the cost, I suspect,
27 > of serializing the building of any memory hog dependencies that were
28 > excluded from consideration by the first invocation of emerge.
29
30 That's a fair point, but it would only apply if the hog had a new
31 dependency. Even then, it would only be significant if the dependency was
32 large.
33
34 > What situations do you see as not working?
35
36 The ones I mentioned before, but it seems that portage may be intelligent
37 to deal with them. It will be interesting to see if it continues to work
38 over time.
42 Neil Bothwick
43
44 Q: Why do PCs - even modern ones - have reset buttons on the front?
45 A: Because they come with Microsoft operating systems.