From: Patric Schmitz <bzk0711@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Mail on multiple laptops
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:56:16
1 On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:09:44 -0400
2 Michael Pobega <pobega@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:02:07PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > Yeah, my debian-user folder is at 54,000 e-mails now. It's pretty
6 > crazy, it takes me about four minutes to access it. I don't know why
7 > Mutt needs to continually cache the data, I thought the idea of
8 > caches was to prevent things like this from happening?
9
10 That is crazy indeed. I had the same "problem" here and thought a
11 bit about it, and so, just to hopefully clear this up for others:
12
13 Why should one store years old mailing lists mail _on the server_
14 for ever?
15
16 Why is IMAP useful, because you can access your mails from
17 anywhere and from multiple clients. But that counts only for those
18 mails which have a chance to be of interest at different places
19 (complete personal email, probably).
20 This is certainly not the case for year old mailinglist mails (which
21 are, in the case of debian-user at least, also available from public
22 archives).
23 Why store these maybe hundred of megabytes of mail on the server,
24 there is just no reason. And it should not surprise that clients (and i
25 guess servers alike) need a huge amount of time to scan through huge
26 directories, even if only comparing the local cache.
27
28 If you don't trust the public mailing list archives, do it like I did
29 for now. Create a local mailbox (you have to find some certain machine
30 for this of course, i suggest your desktop at home).
31 I called it "archived mail". Then create e.g. a folder debian-user and
32 just move all mails from the IMAP server to that local folder.
33 Afterwards you can still access your archived mails from that list,
34 just not from everywhere (well actually you can by using the public
35 archives), but you have to ask yourself again: Why should i need that?
36
37 Now I have the huge folders lying on my hard-disk, i can search
38 _quickly_ through tenthousands of mails, and the access time for
39 opening the remote folders is greatly reduced. If I feel like cleaning
40 up again, maybe after 1-2k mails, i just move them over again. Reducing
41 unneccessary traffic, saving precious resources, and able to search the
42 archive much quicker.
43
44 This is just my opinon, maybe someone who had _all_ his mails on IMAP
45 till now might rethink this.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Patric