From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP port 445
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 01:06:21
1 On 2/14/21 11:26 AM, Michael wrote:
2 > These are the services using port 445:
3 >
4 > 445 TCP SMB Fax Service
5 > 445 TCP SMB Print Spooler
6 > 445 TCP SMB Server
7 > 445 TCP SMB Remote Procedure Call Locator
8 > 445 TCP SMB Distributed File System Namespaces
9 > 445 TCP SMB Distributed File System Replication
10 > 445 TCP SMB License Logging Service
11 > 445 TCP SMB Net Logon
12
13 ACK
14
15 > Right, it isn't. My bad. FS Namespaces mapping uses port 445,
16 > a different function - see URL at the bottom.
17
18 Ah. Maybe a term collision between "Namespaces" and "name (to IP)
19 resolution".
20
21 > All I found from a random search in the interwebs, is the following
22 > link. Port 445 is used for file/printer data sharing as discussed.
23 > It is also used for 'Distributed File System Namespaces' across
24 > different domains - but this is not DNS-IP resolution.
25
26 Yep. DFS, being a pseudo / logical server, needs to be found just like
27 actual servers. That makes complete sense. \\DFS\LogicalServer is
28 really at \\CorpServer\ShareA and \\BranchServer\ShareB, take your pick.
29 By the way, CorpServer is at the corporate HQ through the WAN link and
30 BranchServer is at the same branch office as you.
31
32 > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/
33 > service-overview-and-network-port-requirements
34
35 Thank you for the link. I will read it in the coming days as time permits.
40 Grant. . . .
41 unix || die