From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:24:03
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Friday 19 November 2010 05:14:26 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> writes:
5 >> > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
6 >
7 >> >> You don't have to chroot to run fsck. You can just boot from the LiveCD
8 >> >> and run `fsck -o -p -t -i -o -n -s /dev/sda1`.
9 >> >>
10 >> >> I feel a bit more confident fscking my root filesystem from a LiveCD,
11 >> >> because you know that you're not repairing the floor you're standing
12 >> >> on, and fsck can have full leeway to do what it needs to do to clear up
13 >> >> the problem properly.
14 >> >
15 >> > The question was about emerge -e world not fsck (see quoted material
16 >> > above).
17 >> >
18 >> > The fsck succeeded prior to this (I did touch /forcefsck; reboot).
19 > [snip ...]
20 >
21 >> I now understand your comment better. I should have run my previous
22 >> fsck's under a liveCD. You are right and I am running them again now
23 >> under a liveCD. I am please to report that no errors were found.
24 >
25 > OK, that shows that nothing worse happened by your running fsck while booted
26 > into the same fs. As I said this has caused problems for me with reiser4, but
27 > not other fs and from what Alan McKinnon said in another thread the
28 > fsck.reiser4 is a bit of a suspect command to play with.
29 >
30 >> So is it now an appropriate time for me to run an
31 >>
32 >> emerge -e world
33 >
34 > Yep, let it rip.