From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mone on the KEYWORD USE front
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:54:37
1 Just when I was thinking I might finally be getting a handle on using
2 keywords and USE variable to control my install, I discover it really
3 isn't as nifty as one might think.
4
5 Here is my case:
6
7 I grew tired of all the ins and outs of kde installation although I
8 had a working one. I decided to scrap it all and start with just 3.5
9 stuff.
10
11 Well you might think all that would be necessary is to keyword either:
12
13 kde-base/kdebase ~x86
14 kde-base/kde-meta ~x86
15 kde-base/kde ~x86
16
17 Which you would think would allow a full install of kde-3.5 in one of
18 those areas. But it will not.
19
20 What happens is emerge runs into a whole long list of other kde
21 packages that themselves must also be keyworded. but it only shows
22 them one at a time. Telling user one package is masked and to read
23 the manpages to proceed. Having keyworded that one trying to preceed
24 finds another.... and another..... etc.
25
26 I'm not sure how many ... I gave up after just a few thinking it was
27 really a tedious way to find what needs keywording.
28
29 This makes you want to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line, but
30 after seeing the reasons for not doing that in recent posts I decided
31 to follow the suggestions, and not do it.
32
33 So either you must cycle thru enough `emerge -v kde' to find all
34 packages needing unmasking and do it in /etc/portage/package.keywords
35 or maybe in /etc/make.conf with `ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86'.
36
37 The make.conf route also seems it might have far reaching
38 implicaitons. And I suspect it would have some repercussions
39 unthought of to just remove it after emerging kde. Like maybe any deps
40 brought in would suddenly need to be replaced by the masked packages.
41
42 So is there a more elegant solution than doggedly running
43 emerge -v kde until all packages needing unmasking have been
44 revealed and entered into /etc/portage/package.keywords?
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list