From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Finally installed Gentoo on Dell Inspiron 530 desktop
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:56:10
1 I gave up on trying to get the integrated NIC working under linux. I
2 slapped in an el-cheapo no-name PCI NIC with a Via-Rhine chip, and
3 things went swimmingly.
4
5 I checked dell.com's support knowledgebase. Only the most recent
6 kernels support SATA drives in IDE mode, and it looks like the Gentoo
7 2007.0-r1 kernel isn't recent enough. After screwing around a bit, I
8 finally found a way to boot the install CD, after which I was able to do
9 the install.
10
11 ***WARNING***
12 You will *NOT* be able to boot Windows in the following setup
13 (One... Two... Three... awwwwwwwwwwwwww)
14
15 - reboot and go into BIOS setup ({F2} key)
16 - go to "integrated peripherals"
17 - change sata mode from IDE to RAID
18 - save and reboot ({F10} key)
19 - go into BIOS setup ({F2} key). Yes again.
20 - comment; if you watch carefully during the boot, you may notice the
21 "AHCI BIOS installed" message.
22 - go into "boot device configuration". It will behave slightly differently
23 thanks to "AHCI BIOS" being installed.
24 - set boot device priority. Note; if you have more than 1 CD/DVD, you need
25 to specify them separately, if you want to be able to boot off both of
26 them. There are only 3 available slots, so I sacrificed the floppy. This
27 left me with the 2 CD/DVD drives and the hard drive as the boot order
28 - save and reboot ({F10} key)
29
30 Now run the usual install, using the replacement NIC. One thing to
31 note in kernel settings (I use "make menuconfig").
32
33 Device Drivers --->
34 < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->
35 <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers --->
36 <*> AHCI SATA support
37
38 The 3 items above
39 1) turn off ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support, which is no longer needed
40 2) open up the ability to select SATA support
41 3) supports the AHCI BIOS that is installed in RAID mode
42
43 I have a working system that boots. I'm now in the middle of copying
44 over directories from my current machine, so the Dell 530 can become my
45 "hot backup" machine.
48 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
49 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
50 A. I think it would be a good idea.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list