From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:13:12
1 On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:46:56 +0300, Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > after some suggestions from the list I finally emerged KDE to give it
6 > another try. Even with 256 MiB of RAM, it works quite acceptably, save
7 > for the startup time. However, I notice it has installed all sorts of
8 > marginally useful and ultimately resource consuming software such as
9 > KWallet. Now, I realise the risks of keeping passwords scattered all
10 > around (sometimes even unencrypted), but in my environment it's not
11 > that great a priority.
12 >
13 > I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
14 > and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for
15 > other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
16 > to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
17 > what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
18 > kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?
19 >
20 > Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being ambiguous (it's late)
21 > Vlad
24 It looks like the problem is that you used some package like kdebase-meta
25 and it installed all of the KDE. If so, now you have only kdebase-meta in
26 /var/lib/portage/world and next time you upgrade world portage will
27 install what you unmerge manually.
28
29 I did not test it, but the first thing that comes to mind is to edit the
30 world manually: remove ....-meta packages and add packages that are
31 actually installed. You can find them in /var/db/pkg/kde-base/ and
32 /var/db/pkg/kde-misc.
36 Andrei Gerasimenko
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list