From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:36:39
1 On 2013-07-02, Randolph Maa?en <r.maassen60@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 2013/7/2 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
3 >
4 >> On 2013-07-02, Randolph Maa?en <r.maassen60@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> 2013/7/2 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
6 >>
7 >>>> It looks like my options are:
8 >>>>
9 >> [...]
10 >>>>
11 >>>> 5) For the drive with the root parition on it switch from a DOS
12 >>>> parition table to a GPT partition table and use the
13 >>>> root=PARTUUID=<whatever> kernel option.
14 >>>
15 >>> You don't need to switch to GPT for that. I have a DOS partitioned
16 >>> disk and "blkid" prints the LABEL and UUID for each partition.
17 >>
18 >> And you can pass those values to the kernel via the "root=" parameter?
19 >
20 > Yep. The G in GPT just means that the type of the partition is stored
21 > as GUID/UUID. The partition ID is a separate value.
22
23 I think you're confusing the partition UUID and the filesystem UUID
24 (which I believe is what's printed by blkid).
25
26 GPT provides a partition UUID you can use to tell the kernel where
27 root is. DOS/MBR does not.
30 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just had my entire
31 at INTESTINAL TRACT coated
32 gmail.com with TEFLON!