From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS for Pentium Dual Core E2160 ?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:28:25
1 On Saturday 10 Nov 2007 00:30 in article <9nMoI-4go-13@×××××××××××××.it>
2 of linux.gentoo.user, Stefan G. Weichinger(lists@×××××.at) wrote:
3
4 > Greets, I recently bought a new CPU for my mythtv-box, it's a Pentium
5 > Dual E2160 ....
6 >
7 > Currently I use
8 >
9 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
10 >
11 > as I moved the system over from a Pentium 4 (which just crashed).
12
13 You need to consider CHOST as well, to ensure you make the most of the
14 newer CPUs.
15
16 Here is what I use on an E6600 machine:
17
18 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
19 CFLAGS="-march=nocona -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -O2 -pipe"
20
21 Note that -fomit-frame-pointer is not applicable on AMD64/EM64T hardware
22 platforms; it will be silently ignored by GCC. Most of the additional
23 processor features I have specified (MMX, SSE/2/3, 3DNow!) are actually
24 implied by the -march=nocona, but I specify as a mnemonic to myself
25 that these are [potentially] in use on this box.
26
27 If you simply restored from a Pentium 4 system you will need to take the
28 steps to change the CHOST. This is documented on the Gentoo web site.
29 --
30 Regards
31
32 Dave [RLU#314465]